1861 Our founder, Mr. John W. Cowden, purchased the Beaty Estate at 850 Herr Street in Harrisburg for its strategic location along the Pennsylvania Canal. He then opened the J. W. Cowden Stoneware Company.
1863 During the height of the Civil War, Isaac J. Wilcox partnered with John W. Cowden. The company was re-branded as Cowden & Wilcox. Wilcox was the Master Potter who created intricate designs, exemplified by "Man in the Moon" (see jug, below left) that is in tremendous demand today.
1872 John Cowden passed away and our company's operation was assumed by his son, Frederick H. Cowden.
1887 F. H. Cowden transitioned into the manufacturing of firebrick and terracotta pipe. Stoneware made during these years was marked F. H. Cowden.
1904 John C., son of F. H. Cowden, ordered the first freight car of cement, making the progression into building supplies.
1924 After years of service, John C. Cowden sold the business to J.C. Budding. The company became known as Harrisburg Building Supplies.
1929 The store delivered thousands of pounds of silica for the construction of the massive Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge (now officially called Veterans Memorial) across the Susquehanna River.
1936 J.C. Budding Co., Inc. (see logo lower left) purchased all of the assets of the partnership of Frederick Smart and the estate of J. C. Budding (d. 1931).
1998 Our first online store was opened. The operation center was located at the former Hoffman Lumber Company in West Chester, Pennsylvania.
2003 Our company name was changed to BuddingCo to welcome the digital era with an independent name and establish our web presence at www.buddingco.com.